Testing your goals – how committed are you?
You have plans for 2008, important goals you want achieved. Yet have you given any thought to how much of your success will depend on what you believe? And the strengths of those beliefs?
More important than the level of your skills
What you believe about your ability to go out and make those goals happen will impact your results. What you sort of believe doesnt count! Maybe doesn’t count! Only firm beliefs will give you the determination and conviction to keep going when you hit resistance. Or obstacles. Any goal worth achieving will have a few obstacles.
What self talk reveals …
Listen to the questions you ask yourself. The questions that dominate your self-talk shape your future. Are your questions loaded with why? Why did this happen, why didn’t that happen?
Questions like …
- Why didn’t I get that opportunity when I worked so hard for it?
- Why did that person fail to recognize the value I offer?
- Why do I always seem to lose my focus just when things are going well?
- Why do I find (fill in the blank) so intimidating?
- Why did I make such a (fill in the blank) decision?
Why questions focus on the past – the one thing you can’t change! Better to focus on now and the future you want using what and how questions.
Questions like …
- What do I want to create?
- How am I going to do it?
- What do I already have going for me that I can build on?
- What is the best next step? And how can I accomplish that?
- What positive outcome could that person be trying to achieve by doing that behaviour? And how can I help them to be more effective?
Driving with one foot on the brake
Finally, if you’re feeling a little stuck when logically, rationally, you have everything you need to get going? Perhaps it’s time to consider a coach. There are comfortable, quick and effective ways to get you moving when you’re ready.
Just a suggestion
A coach trained in neuro-linguistics can help you turn weak beliefs and wishes into conviction, share a nifty technique for handling competing priorities, and align the values driving your goals for maximum motivation. However you do it, here’s a wish that you get your 2008 off on a running start and have a terrific year!